New Rules Are Here. Is Your Business Ready?

New Rules Are Here. Is Your Business Ready?

Now the Brexit Transition period is over, new rules apply for businesses who trade with or transport to Europe and they could face delays if they don’t take action now.

Business rules have changed. The UK left the single market and customs union at the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020. There are new rules and actions that hauliers need to take, including checking the correct documents are in place before starting a journey and securing an authorised negative COVID-19 test.

Getting ready can take longer than you think, so it’s important that you check what you need to do. By taking action now, you can help make sure your business can continue to trade and take advantage of new opportunities.

You’ll find full guidance on the website. For hauliers, there are four main areas where you will need to take action.

  1. Before you arrive at the border

You can access information and support – as well as facilities such as COVID-19-testing – fo your upcoming journey at an information and advice site (IAS). Located at motorway service stations and truck stops throughout the UK, here you can:

  • Get a COVID-19 test if testing facilities are available
  • Receive advice available in 14 languages
  • Find out about the rules and documents needed to move goods between the UK and EU
  • Complete a free border readiness check

You should also check if you need to visit an inland border facility where you can get all the necessary paperwork ready before reaching the port.

  1. Traveling to or through the EU

Several countries have introduced COVID-19 testing requirements for hauliers. The rules are different in each country, so check these before you travel and take the necessary action. You should have proof of an authorised negative COVID-19 test before arriving in Kent.

Those who are using the Short Straits (Port of Dover or Eurotunnel), must use the online Check an HGV is Ready to Cross the Border service to:

  • Get a Kent Access Permit
  • Ensure you have the correct EU import and export paperwork in order to cross the border between Great Britain and the EU via the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel.
  1. Traveling to Northern Ireland

If you move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, there are specific actions you need to take. Here are some of the key things to check:

  • Before travelling, you’ll need a safety and security (ENS) declaration.
  • You must have a valid XI EORI number. This is not the same as the GB EORI and a new registration is required.
  • All goods crossing from Great Britain to Northern Ireland using a Goods Vehicle Movement Service location will need a goods movement reference.
  • Register for the Trader Support Service which provides free training and support for businesses, and can complete declarations on your behalf.
  1. Do you need extra checks?

If you are carrying a consignment containing animal products such as meat and cheese, plants and plants products (including fruit and vegetables), or live animals, you must present the correct health certification at the border control cost. You must also ensure EU border authorities are expecting your consignment so they can be inspected, and your EU importer must notify the relevant EU border control post.




Featured T&L Business
T&L 264
T&L 263
T&L 262