The UKWA Awards 2018, which took place at London’s Dorchester Hotel on the 4th of July, recognised companies and individuals across the logistics sector for their outstanding performance and professionalism. There were over 450 logistics professionals attending the event, hosted by the journalist and broadcaster Andrew Marr.
The winners of the 10 UKWA Awards are:
- DAP UK Ltd for ‘Best New UKWA Member’ – A corporate award given to the company showing the highest professional standards of warehousing on joining UKWA, this year’s Best New UKWA Member was DAP UK Ltd. DAP operates facilities in Great Yarmouth, Felixstowe and Rugeley from which it offers full freighting and distribution services worldwide.
- Sam Collins, Walker Logistics Ltd for ‘Young Employee of the Year’ – Sam Collins of Walker Logistics Ltd demonstrated the outstanding personal and professional qualities and leadership potential required.
- Donald Gillies, Bullet Express Ltd for ‘Manager of the Year’ – The judges were seeking an individual with excellent personal and professional qualities and Bullet Express’s Donald Gillies was their unanimous choice.
- Howard Tenens for ‘Environment Award’ – The Award went to Howard Tenens thanks to the number of green initiatives undertaken by the company – including the introduction of dual-fuel vehicles and the installation of solar photovoltaic technology at a number of its sites -have resulted in significant reductions in Howard Tenens’ CO2 emissions.
- Gotelee Solicitors for ‘Award for Innovation’ – Gotelee Solicitors collected this year’s UKWA Technology and Innovation Award for its Guardian Product Safety Due Diligence App, which helps e-commerce distributors to negotiate the regulations laid down by HMRC in the Fulfilment House Due Diligence Scheme (FHDDS).
- International Logistics Group for ‘Training Award’ – This award is given for training achievement and can be presented to an individual or an organisation. The company operates a programme for employees across the business – from school leavers to senior managers – to enhance their skills sets and each year offers an internal management development scheme to enable current employees to gain a professional qualification and fast track their careers.
- Granby Marketing Services for ‘Customer Service’ – The company’s commitment to providing outstanding levels of customer service is reflected in the length of time it has worked with many of its key accounts. And, in Granby’s latest annual client satisfaction survey, 100% of respondents said that they considered Granby to be ‘invaluable’ to their business success.
- John Lewis Plc for ‘Infrastructure Project’ – This new award, which recognises a new or improved logistics building or logistics park development, went to John Lewis plc for the latest phase of its Magna Park 2 development that went live in 2017.
- Miniclipper Logistics for ‘Logistics Service Provider of the Year’ – During the last two years, the company has created an additional 2000 pallet locations by investing in a new VNA racking layout while a spend of some £107,000 in an upgraded WMS has brought further efficiency to the business.
- Chris Sturman for ‘Chairman’s Award’ – The UKWA Chairman presents this award to an individual or company who has made a real and lasting contribution to the logistics industry.